Periodicals and Newspapers
Cowles Library subscribes to many journals, both in print and online. Print journals are located on the ground floor on both east and west sides. Journals dating 1993-present are located on the east side. Journals dating 1992 and older are located on the west side. The library subscribes to some journals on microfilm as well. Journals may not be checked out.
Cowles Library subscribes to numerous newspapers, foreign language papers and magazines. Paper issues of most newspapers are retained for three months and then recycled. Current issues of the following titles are kept in the newspaper shelving on the east side of the ground floor. Titles not found below may be available online. See the Ask Here Desk for assistance locating online newspapers if needed.
- Chicago Tribune (online full-text, 1849-1987)
- Chronicle of Higher Education (online full-text, 1999-present)
- Des Moines Business Record
- Des Moines Register (online full-text, 2002-present)
- Die Zeit (online full-text, 2008-present)
- Iowa Bystander
- Le Monde
- New York Times (online full-text, 1979-present)
- Sunday Times of India
- Times Literary Supplement
- Village Voice
- Wall St. Journal (1984-present)
The Des Moines Register is replaced by microfilm and kept permanently. Paper issues are retained until the microfilm arrives.
The Times-Delphic, Drake’s student newspaper, is available online. In addition, the Library has digitized many of the back issues of The Times-Delphic, and our TD Index search allows you to search back issues by subject or article title.